Everyone knows no gift can truly express how much you love your mom, but if you’re tired of giving the same flowers and card combo year after year, we’ve got a few ideas for you. Here are some suggestions for endearing yet affordable gifts for the special lady in your life. After all, 2014 technically marks the 100th year anniversary of Mother’s Day.
- DIY Gift Basket: A gift basket (or bag) is a great inexpensive way to give your mom several little goodies in a single package. Think about tying them all to a specific theme, such as gardening, baking or another activity she enjoys.
- Coupon Book: Is there one chore that your mom despises? Make a coupon offering to do that task for her. Design several coupons offering favors, chores and small tokens of appreciation and staple them together as a book for her to redeem as she pleases.
- Memory Journal: Ask friends and family to write down their favorite memory of mom and compile everyone’s letters into a memory journal for her to keep.
- Make her breakfast: It’s often said the easiest way to someone’s heart is through their stomach. Make mom her favorite breakfast. Pancakes, waffles and French toast are all easy to make and require few ingredients.
- Recipe Card Box: Gather up all of your mom’s recipes laying around in various drawers around the house, make copies of them and organize them in a decorative box. If you want to get fancy, add sheet protectors to protect against spills and tabs to label the recipes into sections.
- Books and Magazine Subscriptions: Consider buying her a subscription to her favorite magazine or giving her an Amazon gift card to purchase ebooks of her choosing.
- Start an Herb or Vegetable Garden: Not only will this cater to those moms with a green thumb, but it will also offer fresh veggies and herbs for her to use in cooking. Start simple with easy to maintain herbs like rosemary or basil. Most home and garden stores have a section for last season’s pots and planters now on sale. The garden is an easy, inexpensive gift that you and your mom can continue to grow and nurture together.